Monday, March 8, 2010

going strong

today was another day for 100% in March. did some leg lifts, squats, dead lifts and lunges. also did biceps and shoulders and chest and triceps. so overall, a varied brief dumbbell workout. today is a scheduled rest day, so it was just to get something done. i don't usually skip around major muscle groups, but hey, whatever.

I do want to go off on a tangent for a while though, so indulge me. I am a Marine. I enlisted after September 11th. Before I enlisted, I was enrolled in ROTC at Tulane University. The Assistant Marine Officer Instructor there was a Gunny Gregory. Anyway, I dropped out of ROTC and Tulane, and in January of 2002 went to Parris Island, SC for Recruit Training. Once there, everything prior to me getting there seemed to disappear. I guess it was simply the immersion of recruit training, but there was a disconnect to the rest of the world. Toward the end of training, Gunny Gregory made a visit. As I saw him, it was like all of a sudden, the outside world existed again, that he represented a reality that was out there, not forgotten. I don't know if you understand what I'm saying, but I tell you this to relate what happened to me tonight. I attended a Cub Scout Training tonight, and a woman there named Georgina Riley was there. I knew the name, from somewhere in my past, but couldn't place it. Anyway, I spoke to her, and she knew my dad and my mom from back in the days before mom died and we were all in Scouting. It was a tangible connection - someone who knew my mom before she died. Knew who she was, what she was like. I never thought to really ask people what my mom was like. I was ten when she passed, but it never occurred to me that I might ask people who knew her what she was like. It tugged at my heart. I'm actually tearing up a bit right now. But tonight I felt this strong connection to my mom, and a sense that she would be proud of the man I have become. I miss her so much, and it was a precious gift to just have a connection to a time before she passed.

FGSO

1 comment:

Heather said...

I'm so glad that you were able to connect like that. I'm also so proud of you!